Few things unite the population of the world as strongly as the culinary arts. Everybody eats. Everybody loves to eat. Everybody is interested in how and what others eat.
Although it is a necessity to prepare food and eat, our interest in the processes seems closer to an obsession in today’s world more than an interest. We now have an entire food network on television. In addition to that, there is a current count of 78 reality shows about cooking being broadcasted throughout the world.
Due to how rapidly some reality shows flop and new ones begin, the total is ever changing, but that number is a demonstration of our collective fixation to something that could just as understandably be ho-hum to us.
There is certainly an unprecedented fascination with food and food preparation, in our society today, and if you think about the fact that the subject began with the very first mouth to feed, it can make you wonder why such hype took so long to develop.
Perhaps the ever-changing media catapulted it into the limelight, but it still seems it must go deeper than that. Maybe its powerful bonding factor is because it is the one thing that every living human has to have. Since it’s something that we must take part in daily, it can, at times seem a bit boring to us.
That could be the reason everybody is interested in seeing what everybody else is doing with food, and how they are going about doing it. Let’s face it; the meat and potato world many of us used to live in has been rapidly evolving into new and exciting culinary ground. For anybody naturally drawn to the culinary arts, this is a magnificently exciting time to be alive!
Why Are Chefs Becoming So Popular?
Living in an era of such a food and cooking craze, those interested in making a living as a chef now have the luxury of a road smoothly paved for them.
Restaurants specializing in particular cuisines prefer well-trained chefs to bring new and interesting delectables to the diner’s table, and because it is so important to the business owner, they are willing to provide good salaries to their chefs. The days of inexperienced short-order cooks are quickly dwindling, as educated chefs are more and more desired.
Keeping up with our changing times, people want more than the ability to flip a burger from their cooks. With the awareness of food-born illnesses, restaurants can no longer afford to entrust their identity and livelihood to somebody just because he or she has the reputation of making a mean pot roast or a mouth-watering apple pie. So what is being desired out of chefs today?
That can be answered in a word: education.
An educated chef brings much more to the table than just tasty food:
- Chefs are educated about nutrition.
- Chefs understand safe food handling practices.
- Chefs understand how to arouse the palate.
- Chefs have been trained in food presentation.
- Chefs have learned about the importance of textures.
- Chefs are well practiced in timing meals appropriately.
- Chefs have studied food science.
You can look up and down your street and find hundreds of people that can make a tasty dish, but there are greater responsibilities on the shoulders of a true chef, and business owners are well aware of that fact.
A chef is being recognized as the lifeline of restaurant owners, and they are normally willing to pay you quite nicely for your efforts that can turn them into a well-known and lucrative dining establishment with a personal plenty of personal flare.
Some feel that it is a wonder that education is not required for all people working in the capacity of a cook. Consider this: Long ago anybody could open up a shop and cut hair without any education. If they had tried it a few times, and seemed to have a knack for it, they would open up their door and toss up a sign, and they were in business.
Now, we expect those caring for our hair to be properly trained. The government agrees too, as proven by rigorous state board testing that it is required to pass before one can hang up a sign today. Yet, as little sense as it makes people are still allowed to cook our food just because they physically can.
Some states require a food handler’s permit but word has it that they can often be studied for and have the test done in merely a couple of hours. It can make a person question societies priorities.
Because there are still people trying to obtain gainful employment as a cook without education, and with the changing attitudes and awareness health and food safety issues, those becoming educated are surely going to be qualified to move to the front of the line. Society is beginning to speak up and ask for truly educated, well-trained people to be handling their food for them.
Where Can You Work As A Chef?
Besides getting to do a job that your heart is truly into, you have many exciting options on where you can land work. You decide which atmosphere appeals to you:
- A local restaurant
- Banquet facility
- Bed and breakfast
- Cruise ships
- A hospital
- Vacation resort
- Country club
- Restaurants specializing in a particular cuisine
- Major prepared food companies
- Anywhere anybody eats
One of the best things about being a chef is that preparing tasty foods for people will never become out of style. It is not a phase that will pass. It cannot be replaced with something else.
It can’t become old and forgotten. It isn’t even likely that a robot will one day take your job. It is a vocation that calls upon good, common, people sense, special touches, ideas, and a commitment to excellence.
Personal Perks To Being A Chef
You will love your job! If you are thinking about becoming a chef, you probably have already realized that you have a natural inclination toward the love of cooking. The importance of loving your job cannot be measured, but few would argue that it is important to one’s over all happiness.
Even when you do love your job days can sometimes be long or exhausting. When you are not following your dream, and you force yourself into a career that is not your calling, it can result in a huge part of your life not feeling quite right.
It is important to have a natural zeal for your work to have a head start on a fulfilling career. If you want to be a chef, and you become one, then you instantly will feel the perk of being excited about your job. Here are 5 more perks that will bring even more joy to your job:
- You are a creator! – With the knowledge you will gain by training in the culinary arts you will come to realize that you have the ability to create fresh, new recipes and sumptuous meals. The sky will be your limit. You can use all the creativity that comes with your love of your work and constantly feel good about pleasing your crowd.
- You become the star! – It may not be why you are choosing to be a chef, but it comes with the territory. As you turn out wonderful dishes and become practiced at making beautiful presentations you will be appreciated if not awed.
- You get to provide nutritional balance. – During your education you will have your eyes opened to the tips and tricks to creating meals with good nutritional balance. Since there is so much awareness these days regarding healthful eating, with your tasty recipes you can encourage eating balanced diets. You will be able to encourage nutritionally sound meals that will be much appreciated by those for whom you cook.
- You can use your expertise in your personal life. – Again, it might not be what you were originally after, but you are going to gain some extra popularity among your friends and family too. Everybody is thrilled to have a chef in the family. When the mood strikes you, you can dazzle your loved ones with some of the specialties created while working.
- You have the joy of fulfilling a need that is also pleasurable. – Everybody needs to eat, and even a few times a day. People get bored with what they make regularly for themselves and their families. It is always a fun treat to get to partake in the yummy creations of others. You can imagine the pride that you can feel daily by bringing such delight to those you reach through your culinary creations.
In addition to those personal perks, you will also have the option of making lateral moves to different facilities to keep your job interesting, if you choose. If you have been working at a restaurant and want to try something new, like working at a bed and breakfast or a resort just to change things up, it should not be difficult for you.
Once you have had a chance to build some experience you will likely be qualifying for better paying positions, and to move about as much as you desire.
There are endless opportunities for you when you have studied culinary arts.
Somewhere Is a Great Place To Start
Since you are thinking about becoming a chef, you have needed steps to take to ensure that you gain the respect you want and the right to earn a great salary.
Experienced chefs who have earned an excellent reputation through their expertise are sometimes finding themselves to be the target of a bidding war between restaurant owners. It can’t get much better than that! There was no magic wand waved that got them to that point; it was the result of dedication and the tenacity to keep putting one foot in front of the other, all of the time.
As we know, they had to start somewhere. If you look around you, you can see that you are in that very same place that the highly successful chefs once were. You are somewhere!
So, why not start here?
Use the form at the top of this page. Enter in your zip code and start finding schools with openings for you to begin soon. Even if you think you need a little more time, you can start gathering information today. You are embarking on an exciting adventure.
Salaries With And Without Education
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs classified as a short order cook have a nationwide estimated mean annual wage of $21,280. On the other hand, those working with the classification of a head cook or chef brought in numbers more than double of that, at $46,600.
So, if you would like to try your hand at cooking as a way of making your living, it is looking obvious that the short time spent getting yourself educated will pay you back many times over, and it shouldn’t take very long.
You have the first and thing you need to get on the road to obtaining the job that your heart is leading you too, which is the love of culinary arts. You now have the second thing needed to put you on the right path and that is the link on this page that will get you pointed in the right direction. Since everybody has to start somewhere, and this is somewhere, go ahead. Start now!